Saturday, March 28, 2020

A Week of Poetry: March 22

March 27, 2020 

I have two lives:
One is aware of the news:
The numbers
Somber and alert.
Consciously concerned. 
Responsive not reactive.
Sober. Listening.
The second is seeing what it is like
To be home.
With my husband and children.
In a new schedule,
Connected and together.
And I wonder if, at the end of all this
How different my choices will be.
In wonder. Watching.

March 26, 2020 

Shelter-in-place
They said.
Be still.
Be care full.
Stay inside.
I considered what it means to shelter.
To seek protection.
To protect others.
To hold and be the one who is held.
The body shelters the heart. 
And place. What is my place?
My house. My mind. My heart.
The space my body fills. 
And I choose this too: place.
A place of joy or sorrow,
Worry or calm.
Or all of it.
In my little House.
And it is quiet here.
I’ll pray and I’ll hold you.

March 25, 2020 

And for a moment I forgot.
The cascade of color on the lake
Distracted me.
Or drew me.
Held me, as if to say, 
I’m here. 
And I remembered.
A catch in my throat.
A worry.
And, my breath drew me,
Held me, as if to say,
I’m here. 
And I remembered.
But when? And who? And how?
Am I safe?
And I see you here,
You draw me,
You hold me.
I’m here, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment